Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Weapons of Mass Distraction

This last week in church, during the Elder's Quorum lesson, a little girl, a few months younger than Eli, wandered to the front of the room. Since we meet in the Primary Room in our Ward, there are all sorts of fun things with which to play. Little Julia walked to the front of the room with confidence and panache, picked up the stool the kids use to reach the podium, and proudly walked down the aisle with it. Every eye in the room was on this kid, and the teacher even made a comment about it that I could tell really derailed his train of thought.

The reason I mention this is that it has become clear to me that I will never be able to work from home.

Even if I have my own office in the basement some day, with all the materials I will need to lawyer like it's going out of style, food for a week, and the hum of fluorescent lighting to keep me awake (and zombify me), I won't be safe. Somehow, sometime, when I least expect it, I will be assaulted by weapons of mass distraction:



Not that it's all bad. Today I took Eli for two consecutive rounds of disc golf. By the last 5 holes, he had had enough. Every time Rinker would putt, Eli would say, "No, No, Nooooo." Sometimes I can use him to my advantage.

No comments: