Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Liahona? Nope.


So, Liss and I sat down and watched The Golden Compass last weekend. What the heck?

I was expecting a little more out of it. First of all, the "popular Christian media" skewered this film for being Satanic, agnostic, and atheist because the little girl is fighting the "church" and killing "god" (notice the little g).

The real problem with the movie is that the main character has no redeeming qualities. Lyra hates being proper, hates education, and won't listen to counsel. She thinks she knows what's best for her, and is encouraged for being independent and at one point, is praised for lying. The only good thing she does the entire movie is remain loyal to her friend. Blah.

This was a kid's film? Freaking violent. One bear knocked another's lower jaw off! Good glory. What little kid needs to see that? Then, in the final scene, you have souls exploding. It was actually quite graphic.

All in all, I don't think I'd want my little E to see it, and not because it's got an atheist author and an atheist bent. It just sucks.

1 comment:

Matthew and Alisha Palmer Family said...

Love the review. Didn't want to see, it, but now I at least have a reason why.

Can't wait to read your review of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Lost Crystal" (or whatever the heck it's called.) Matthew and I saw it tonight.