Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Frozen North

Moving to Waterloo, I knew that winter would be worse than in Coralville or Chillicothe. I didn't realize how bad it would be. The last few winters I've played disc down to about 15 degrees snow or shine. There is so much fluffy snow on the ground up here that I think I would probably lose my entire bag of discs on the first few holes.

Last night we got 7 or so inches - on top of the three we got Monday night. On top of the 5 or so inches we got last Friday night. The snow was up to our back porch this morning on the sidewalk that I shoveled on Friday. I would guesstimate 18-20 inches on the ground in the rest of the yard.

It's been cold, too. It is currently -2 with windchill of -24 degrees. It's a good time to find a warm place to hibernate. I remarked to Liss last night that it would be inhumane to have an outside-only dog this winter.

The weather hasn't really put me out too much. I have been driving the van, since my car doesn't like to start in the cold. I keep the block heater plugged in at home, but have no way to plug it in at work. When the highs were in the teens, I could start it fine in the morning, but it would struggle to start when I was going home after sitting in the parking garage at the office all day. Now, with the high for tomorrow forecast for -6, I don't think it would stand a chance.

Unfortunately, it turns out people still need lawyers when school is cancelled.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Remind me not to complain to Sam how cold it is here.