
So, this guy is now President. Good for you, President Obama. I hope that you are not so into change that you screw up the few good things Bush did. Change just for change's sake is not helpful.
The one main thing that I'm glad for in the change of regimes is that now we can move on. I am so tired of listening to people complain about Bush. He obviously did not handle every challenge of his Presidency exactly the way you wanted, but you can't blame the guy for every bad thing that happened to you (or you think happened to you) in the last 8 years. Now, I must gently remind you that since your guy is in office, you can move on. I know there will be residuals, but quit whining.
With the regime change comes a fresh start for working together. With Congress and the Executive from the same party, there is always a danger of just driving through whatever legislation is on the radar with no thought of compromise or cooperation. I hope we can avoid that. The division widened by President Bush can be narrowed if the powers that be so choose. Looking back at the Clinton Administration, the government really did some good things (think welfare reform), in part (I think) because one party controlled the Legislative Branch and the other the Executive Branch. This check and balance within the checks and balances brought both sides closer to the center that better approximates the position of the infrequently-consulted American voting public.
I do not pretend to be perfectly informed on matters political (I'm disenchanted for the most part), but let's let bygones be bygones while still learning from our mistakes, and get to work.
1 comment:
It will be interesting to see how everything works since the majority leaders of the house and senate have both said,..."we work WITH Obama, not FOR him." Sounds like they are looking out for #1.
Post a Comment